Tuesday 26 August 2014

LEEK & KALE QUITATTA






 









Yum cha was cancelled today and it was raining and Vinnie had finally fallen asleep, so I decided to bake a quiche, well my version of a quiche (maybe it's formerly known as a fritatta?). I usually make this in a bigger baking dish, but today we had no eggs in the fridge and Matty had collected only three eggs from our chickens this morning. I really love this meal and it's a regular one in my home. Sometimes I add mushrooms or fetta cheese and sometimes I use lebanese bread as a quick and easy faux pastry bottom. Today I just divided the mixture into two ramekins and greedily topped them with cheese. Waiting for them to bake, I finally got to sink my eyeballs into Oak The Nordic Journal which had arrived at perfect timing. If you like magazines and you get the chance to buy it or read it somewhere, I strongly suggest that you do. It's a wonderful insight into Nordic lifestyle and culture - the subject matter and writing is very fresh and interesting and coupled with the beautiful simplistic, natural photography and the layout and design, it makes for a very straight forward but enigmatic magazine. I say that because I keep going back to it and I have probably picked it up about another three times since I received it this afternoon. Back to my Quitatta, when my little babies were ready I slid them out of the oven and they were pretty horrendous looking - the result of too much cheese and because I love cheese, I can never be frugal with it, so this always happens with any meal containing cheese. It wasn't as yummy as a steamed pork bun, but it was perfect for this rainy afternoon at home.


 KALE & LEEK QUITATTA
(approx. 10 mins prep, 25 minutes baking. serves 2)

3 eggs
splash of water
splash of milk
splash of soy sauce
two stalks of thinly sliced kale
two bulbs of thinly sliced leek
thinly sliced garlic
a dash of coconut oil
a few drizzles of olive oil
freshly cracked pepper
grated cheese 
salt and pepper

Step 1: preheat oven to 200 degrees

Step 2: lightly beat first four ingredients in a bowl

Step 3: put pan on medium heat and melt coconut oil, add kale, leek and garlic and sautee gently on a medium-low heat, add a few drizzles of olive oil if it looks too dry

Step 4: tip out the sauteed kale, leek and garlic from the pan and into the egg mixture and gently stir

Step 5: divide mixture into two small dishes or ramekins

Step 6: place into oven and set timer for ten minutes

Step 7: take them out of the oven and top with grated cheese and place back into the oven for 10 - 15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and the quiche is firm to touch with the back of a spoon

Step 8: Season to your liking with salt and pepper.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Images taken using Canon 5D Markiii//50mm 1.4
Please do not use my images without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment